1950s Green Bracelet
This is a 1950s Trifari bracelet. It features three separate chains attached at each end at the clasp. The outside two are rope twist chains and the central chain has emerald green marl shaped pastic beads alternating with rope/cord effect metal beads. The bracelet is an original pale gold tone metal with a hinged flip clasp. The reverse of the clasp carries the Trifari stamp.
It is in excellent condition
Fashion History Snapshot
The Trifari Company was founded by Gustavo Trifari, an Italian immigrant who arrived at Ellis Island from Napoli in 1904 at the age of 20. In 1910 he founded “Trifari and Trifari” with his uncle. Gustavo’s uncle left the company a few years later, and Gustavo continued the company under the name of “Trifari.” It’s no wonder that Italian collectors love to buy Trifari Vintage Jewelry, as Gustavo is one of their own.
The designers at Trifari were trained and worked for the high end and elite fine jewelry firms of the mid 20th Century.
The lead designer at Trifari from 1930 to 1968 was Alfred Philippe. During this period of design, style, and market dominance for Trifari, Philippe introduced high level craftsmanship and invisible settings to the costume jewelry line. Alfred Philippe taught his fellow Trifari designers the same fine jewelry-making techniques that he learned at the elite and prestigious jewelry firms of Cartier and Van Cleef and Arpels.
In 2000, the company was sold to Liz Claiborne and production was moved overseas. Since then, lesser quality jewelry has been mass produced.